The history of Walberton House goes back centuries. It was once a brick church hall, stables, 9-hole golf course, and potting shed. The vicarage house was rebuilt in the 18th century after the livings of Walberton and Yapton were united. In 1573, the vicarage house was still in poor condition, but by 1615 it was in better shape. In 1615, it had three chambers, a kitchen, and two outhouses. The 1995 Old Vicarage has a brick core from the 18th century.
Originally a brick church hall.
Originally a brick church hall, Walberton House is a Grade II listed building on a sloping hilltop near the village. It was built in the early C19. Its former Stables were converted into two houses. The house was designed by Robert Smirke and featured eight fluted Doric columns. The north service wings were later added. Today, the building serves as a museum.
A brick church hall was built nearby in 1953. The congregation had 25 members in 1966 and became affiliated with the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches in 1973. By 1992, the community was led by a resident pastor. The building was renovated several times, and two Sunday services were held. The article was first written in 1995 and revised in 1996. The topographical details were based on O.S. maps, and Mr. J. Eyre provided much assistance.
The bricks in the front of the building are unusually symmetrical, and the gallery-level bricks were replaced in the early 1990s after a support log was rotten. The church steeple was previously crowned with a large wooden hand pointing to heaven. This hand was replaced by Dr. Dyrc Sibrans and Frank T. “Bubba” Richardson of Mooresville. The replacement hand was installed on the church steeple in May 2005.
Originally a stables
Originally stables at Walberto House, The Stables has been converted into a luxurious and functional home. The single-story building is highly insulated and benefits from a heated polished concrete floor. The original timber walls are restored and complemented by a modern approach to the interiors. This is a stunning example of a heritage property that has been brought back to life.
The house was originally a stable and was remodeled in the early C19. The house was designed by Robert Smirke, whose main facade is framed by eight fluted Doric columns. The north service wing is modern, with a brick core. Its vicarage is on the same site as the stables. The two houses are joined by an external staircase that takes you to the vicarage.
The Stables were once beautiful and functional, but they had fallen into disrepair over the centuries—the Grade 2 listed stable block houses a stylish three-bedroom family home. RIBA award-winning A.R. Design Studio Architects have renovated the former stables to create a contemporary masterpiece. This is one of the few examples in the U.K. that successfully integrates historic features with modern-day living.
Originally a 9-hole golf course.
A short distance from the estate, Walberton House was once a 9-hole golf course. The course was first designed by Albert Smiley in the 1890s and is one of the oldest in the country. The study began as a private nine-hole course on an apple orchard at Mountain Rest Dairy Farm and was later lengthened by Robert Pryde. The system features undulating fairways and a few blind tee shots. Today, it is one of the most beautiful nine-hole courses in New York State.
Originally a potting shed.
The Walberton house was originally a horticultural shed on a farm in rural Kentucky. Tom Blough constructed the original structure over three weekends. Tom built it because he and his wife wanted to take it with them when they moved. Instead of using traditional wood, he used oak from his property. Now, it serves as a garden shed, rabbit hutch, and art gallery.
This potting garden shed takes its design cues from the main house, with the same green and white paint colors. Other elements of the cottage design include a stone path and a deck. There is even a quaint bench and outdoor art. Additionally, the creation of the shed incorporates downspouts to keep rain and snow from soaking the plants. The result is a beautiful space for growing plants.
An impressive village house, Walberton house was originally a horticultural shed. The property’s versatile layout is complemented by its rural setting. Several original features include the large Georgian sash windows and high ceilings. There is a workshop in the rear of the property, and the potting shed can be converted into a self-contained annex if required.
Originally a greenhouse
The manor house at Walberton Park was first built in 1302, then a new one was added in 1817-1818. The parkland was closed to the public until the mid-nineteenth century, and a new house was added around the same time. The garden was enclosed by high walls, mature trees, and a ha-ha near the main house. There are many exciting facts about Walberton House and the surrounding area.
Originally a greenhouse, this stylish village house offers versatile accommodation and is set within a secluded location. The property has an excellent kitchen/family room, a ground floor study, four good-sized bedrooms, and a helpful annex. The property is also close to public transport, and Barnham, with its mainline station, is just a mile and a half away. It is in excellent condition and could quickly become a self-contained annex if necessary.
Greenhouses were often made of wood or metal in the late nineteenth century. They were designed to provide warmth and protection against the cold. Earlier greenhouses often used glass or earthenware tiles and were made to have windows to allow light to pass through while preventing wind from affecting the plants. Despite their early designs, greenhouses are now made of polycarbonate or acrylic, allowing maximum light and ventilation and protecting against the elements.